Step 4: Why?

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM

"4. When you have developed your application: You have to use Replace through VS2008 (CTRL + H) the following element: 'SeadragonJS' by 'Seadragon.'
In fact as VS2008 does not support well the JavaScript namespace concept, we have to use this trick."

I'm not clear on why we would need to do this.  Is there some other JavaScript library using "SeadragonJS" that conflicts with yours?
Regardless of the reason why, if all the instances need to be replaced, why not just make the replacements in your file so it's already done when we download it?

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Ahh, I see what you mean now... your file is a temporary replacement, so the code we write that references your file will need to be changed to use 'Seadragon'

Also in step 4, you may want to remind developers that they shouldn't include this file in their final production website, since it won't actually be used after the SeadragonJS/Seadragon replacements, and it weighs a ton - 57 KB!  Using the jQuery naming convention of -vsdoc (debug) and -min (release), I suggest renaming your file to SeaJSHelper-vsdoc.js so it's clear that it's just meant for use in Visual Studio, not production websites.

The file's large size is mostly unavoidable with all the intellisense comments, but you also have the sloppy Microsoftie habit of putting 4 spaces where a tab character belongs.  You can trim 2.8 KB (9.5%) off of the file by not coding like it's 1999 :P

Visual Studio > Tools > Options > Text Editor > All Languages >Tabs > check the KEEP TABS box